The deputy mayor of Madrid, Miguel Angel Villanueva said today that the City of Madrid hopes “that the whole extent of the law fall on what seems to be the alleged murderer” of the agent of the Municipal Police Carmen Munoz , who died last Wednesday in a shootout.
Speaking in a municipal act Coslada, Deputy Mayor expressed the City Council’s congratulations “to the Government Office, bodies and state security forces and especially the National Police, who have been able to stop the suspect” of this crime.
Agent Muñoz was killed and his patrol partner, Santiago Lozano, was wounded, shot by two suspects while both officials tried to stop a robbery in the Madrid district of Usera. One of those allegedly responsible for his death, David Manuel Fernandez Rodriguez, was arrested Sunday.
Villanueva stressed that ” we are working hard under the supervision of the Government Delegation, in capturing another alleged perpetrator in the murder of the city official. “
The north-western Iran, Trabiz, a city with 1.5 million residents was hit by two major earthquakes this Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and 1,350 injured in rural areas according to Saie Khalil, the head of the Center of natural disasters in East Azerbaijan. “Some 60 villages were completely damaged, we ask people not to panic. Aid is arriving and relief workers are already in place, “he said. The provisional toll could rise, the Institute U.S. Geological Survey estimated the first quake at 6.4 and 6.3 second according to the scale used for earthquakes above magnitude 5. The epicenters were located respectively in Varzeghan and Ahar, about sixty kilometers from Tabriz and some ten kilometers underground, hit the region at 4:53 p.m. (2:23 p.m., hours of Paris ) and 5:04 p.m. (2:34 p.m., hours of Paris ).
Several aftershocks were felt in the region. Sixty villages destroyed “There are 45 dead in Ahar, Varzeghan 40 dead, 50 dead and 18 wounded Heris died in hospital of Tabriz,” said Vice-Minister of the Interior . According to the Ministry of Health , there are also 700 injured. The head of the Center of natural disasters in East Azerbaijan said, “60 villages were destroyed between 60 and 80% and 100% in four villages.” In Tabriz, the damage would be only hardware but the inhabitants, terrified, went to the streets after fleeing their homes. An official with the Interior Ministry, Morteza Akbarpour for his part said that “50 people injured in Varzeghan due to the earthquake had been transferred to the hospital “, according to Fars. He asked residents of areas affected by the earthquake “not to sleep at home tonight.” “Currently, 66 rescue groups, 185 ambulances, 40 helicopters to locate survivors under the rubble are on site and seven teams working with dogs, “said an official of the relief operations, was quoted by the official IRNA news agency. Rescuers are unable to access certain areas “Access to the villages of the region is cut and we did that telephone contact with them, “had initially said Mahmoud Mozafar, head of rescue operations of Iranian Red Crescent in Mehr news agency. He said that helicopters and rescue teams were sent to the region. A spokesman for the firefighters of Tabriz said on his side to the ISNA news agency that “the electricity was cut off in most areas and there is a monster traffic in the city.” The Iran is located on several major fault lines and has experienced many devastating earthquakes. The deadliest earthquake in recent years has killed 31,000 people, a quarter of the population in the city of Bam (South) in December 2003.
The tension is even escalated to the Israeli-Palestinian border. The Egyptian security forces Sunday killed six men armed during a raid in a village in Sinai presented as an antiterrorist operation. State television had earlier said that nine people – six militants and three soldiers, were found dead in a major operation of the army against terrorism, but a security source said that the three soldiers were killed in a road accident elsewhere in the peninsula.
“Security forces conducted a raid against a small house in the village (al-Joura) and there was a firefight,” said a witness under cover of anonymity. “They killed six people and left the body, then returned with ambulances and a fire truck to take them,” he added. Another witness, who described the gunmen as “strangers in the village,” said the six men were killed in crossfire when security forces entered the house where they were hiding. American and Egyptian trying to secure the Sinai Peninsula The Sunday raid comes as the Egyptian army continues to strengthen its presence in the Sinai with new shipments of tanks and armored vehicles to try to capture or kill the militants responsible for an attack Sunday 5 August that killed 15 Egyptian border guards and was attributed to “Islamic terrorists”. A senior Egyptian security had accused shortly after the attack of “jihadists” from the neighboring Gaza Strip of being behind the attack. This is the most serious attack against Egyptian forces in the peninsula since the peace accords of 1979 Israeli-Egyptian, who returned the Sinai to Egypt. The Egyptian authorities have pledged to regain control over this region sensitive, close Israel and the Palestinian enclave of Gaza, experiencing a strong resurgence of insecurity since the collapse in February 2011 of President Hosni Mubarak. The New York Times, the U.S. and Egypt are trying to set establish a new security plan to address the worsening situation in this desert region. Citing unnamed sources, the U.S. daily says that the U.S. Department of Defense talks with the Egyptians in a series of options to share information with the Egyptian army and police in the Sinai.
Three NATO soldiers and one Afghan were killed Wednesday in a double bombing suicide committed by insurgents in Kunar province, eastern Afghanistan.
“Two suicide bombers targeted U.S. troops this morning, counselors, which marched from their base close to the governor’s building of Kunar”, said Mohammad Aywaz Naziri, the police chief of the province.
This attack comes in the wake of an attack in Kapisa province, which killed a French soldier and wounded another.
The Minister of Health Wael al-Halqi is the newly appointed Prime Minister following the defection Monday of former prime minister Riad Hijab, which, according to a spokesman, agreed with the opposition. In three days, the President Assad did not quickly replace his prime minister as he had done for his defense minister Daoud Rajha, killed in an attack last July. Gen. Fahd Al-Freij then again became defense minister.
Al-Halqi was born in the town of Jasim in 1964. He graduated in medicine at Damascus University in 1987 and specializing in gynecology in 1991. He was assistant to health in the city of Jasim from 1997 to 2000 and member of the Baath Socialist Party from 2000-2004. He is married with four children.